Monday, August 24, 2015

Wild ...


Seen the movie Wild? Then this picture will look familiar …



This is a picture of everything that will accompany me on the trip. I’m missing the tent and a few small items plus, oh yah, my bike.

From left to right:
·         Electronics
·         Water
·         Camping
·         Clothes (that takes up 3 rows … when I reviewed my checklist with Matt, he thought I was taking too much clothing)
·         Personal hygiene / first aid
·         Bike stuff
·         Misc.

Now, to be fair, none of this gear is compressed, notably the down jacket smack dab in the middle of the picture, plus everything is still in its packaging. Will it be possible to get all of this into the two yellow panniers at the top right side of the picture? ANS: No. The camping gear will have its own dry sack and mount on the rack and, unless I’ve misjudged the trip and it’s much hotter than I planned, I will generally wear some clothes (e.g. helmet, gloves, 1 jersey, 1 pair of underwear, socks and bike shoes) PLUS the orange Camelbak (first item in the second row).

There, don’t we all feel better about cramming all the rest of that into the yellow panniers? Me neither …

FYI, the low in the Tetons tonight will be 33o. To be fair, the high will be 75 and hazy from the fires. How do you pack for such a wide temperature range?

I was going to save this update for later, but I just thought it was funny to see so much gear spread out that I had to send this interim update.

T – 2.5

JK

No comments:

Post a Comment